Postgraduate Diploma in Public Communication
We're thinking ... Customer Relationship Management (CRM)
The Postgraduate Diploma in Public Communication is the only course of it's type in the UK. For many years the course has taken people within the public sector and provided a range of modules, the one i've been involved with is Online Communication.
Over the years the course and topics discussed have evolved considerably. In the beginning discussions focused around the web and the related opportunities and pitfalls. Underlying issues related to the adoption of new technology and trying to predict what may happen. Latterly, the discussions have become in-depth. We are now able to better illustrate numerous examples and talk about best practice.
This year we have students from departments including: COI, Forestry Commission, HMRC, Scottish Government.
Presenting on the module is David Philip, one of the UK's leading authorities on Internet Reputation and relationship management; and myself.
Points of discussion 1:
- Values are assets
- FaceBook switches from "Become a fan" to "like" (29th March)
- Mobile to overtake PC computing (circa 2012), more
- Strong management needed for online direction
- Organisations attempting to regulate employees online activity (Leeds council ban twitter/blogging in chambers)
- CONTEXT, ACCOUNTABILITY, TRANSPARENCY
- People adapt technology .. playing football in Call of Duty
- People form around common values
- Rupert Murdoch is taking risk with The Times paywall, more
- Net neutrality
- The long tail, more
- Internet double in size every 2 yrs
- Internet power usage, more
- Kevin Kelly on the next 5,000 days of the web. The internet uses 5% of global energy, due to exceed output in 2040 more A timely post on the BBC website: "Greenpeace issues warning about data centre power" more
- How to move away from where we are, too where we want to be: (1) strong management; (2) tools; (3) external influences; (4)
Points of discussion 2:
- Be part of the conversation, or not. Either way it will take place!
- Some links to explore:
- http://justtweetit.com - Loads of twitter goodies
- Analysis of your Twitter account
- http://tweetvalue.com - View the estimated value of a Twitter account
- http://happytweets.com - score a Tweeters feed as happy or not
- http://tweetwasters.com - how much time do you spend on Twitter
- http://www.retweetrank.com - A Tweeters retweet rank
- Self Promotion
- http://tweetvalue.com/twitter_icons.php - Images to advertise you Twitter account
- Twitter Tools
- http://justtweetit.com/twitter-tools - Index of Twitter Tools